One of my favorite meals from when I was kid was Shake n' Bake Chicken. It was a treat in our house and I would be excited all day when I saw that box on the counter!
Fast forward 30 some years, have your family turn Gluten Free and Paleo and forget about Shake n' Bake, right? WRONG! There is something about that flavour, whether its on a drumstick or a boneless skinless chicken breast, you just can't beat it!
So, with some trial and error, Craig and I came up with a pretty awesome version of our own! You won't believe how close to authentic this tastes! It makes a lot, but stores well in the fridge for quite awhile.
What You Will Need:
1 cup almond flour or meal
1 cup pecan meal
2 cups walnut meal
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1tsp celery salt
1 tsp white peper
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1 tbsp chili powder or cayene if you want some kick
1/2 tbsp basil*
*you can use 1 tbsp of italian seasoning in place of the oregano and basil
- mix all ingredients together and store in the fridge in an air tight container or ziploc bag
- if using with skin-on chicken, portion out how much mix you will need into a ziploc bag,
- wash the chicken and dab with paper towel to remove some moisture.You will need a bit of moisture to make the mix stick to the skin
- place chicken pieces in the bag one at a time and shake like you would when you were a kid!
- if using boneless, skinless chicken you may want to dampen the chicken first with frothy eggs whites so the mix will stick. If you do this, use the dredging method or the egg whites will clump up in the bag!